Thanks for the understanding most of you have had for the loss of my partner. The situation was unexpected and has not been easy, but I am better. I have been very busy since, with the aftermath and work, so I really haven't had the time or desire to post here. But I do check occasionally and will try to update requested links when I get a chance. No idea when or if I'll get to new posts, but you never know. He did support this blog, so maybe I'll get back to it. Thanks for your patience.

If you wish to download an album off of this blog and the link is dead, please request it either in the comments or the Chat Box and I will reupload it as soon as possible. :)

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Los Umbrellos - Flamenco Funk (1998)

Here is an act that I actually saw in person during their heyday - not performing, but signing the wall at Toronto's most celebrated record store, Sam The Record Man. Two gargantuan girls in brightly coloured knee-high boots and cowboy hats were kind of hard to miss. I didn't really know who they were, but I grabbed this CD for $1 years later and soon found out. The album was produced by a crew that were primarily known for making euro-house music. That's what I expected from this album. Instead, it sticks pretty closely to what the album title suggests. A man (African Al Agami) rhymes verses in a fake Jamaican accent while two ladies (Danes Mai Britt Grondahl & Grith Höifeldt) sing the choruses in often fake Spanish accents, while the music incorporates pop, latin, funk, ragga, hip hop, R&B and a host of other styles. The mix resulted in their first single, "No Tengo Dinero" (unfortunately not a cover of the Righeira italo disco classic), almost making it into the Billboard Top 40 and becoming a hit worldwide. Alas, a sound so unique and, yes, so cheesy would not leave much hope for a follow-up, and their subsequent singles "Gigolo", "Easy Come Easy Go" and a remake of The Cars' "Drive" (!?) did not fare near as well. But it was fun while it lasted!

Video for No Tengo Dinero

Download Flamenco Funk

1
Sweep
2
Easy Come, Easy Go
3
No Tengo Dinero
4
Flamenco Funk
5
Drive
6
Road To Carlos
7
Running
8
Gigolo
9
Obsession
10
Little Locolito

3 comments:

  1. I remember playing this at the radio back in the day...I also though, at first, that No tengo dinero was a cover of that classic! :) Pity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The link is broken.
    All the records I want, can not be downloaded ...

    ReplyDelete