Hi all! Due to life events, I will not be posting or reupping albums in the future. Some of the albums might be available on the Facebook group mentioned below. Thanks for understanding!

For Facebook users, please check out and join my new sharing group Trashy Treasures, featuring 70s, 80s and 90s music pleasures!! A lot like the Isle, but with everyone able to contribute and discuss the tasty old music we love!!!

For all you pop lovers on Facebook, you should join the Pop Rush Community Facebook page immediately. Lots of amazing shares of great pop music from the 1990's and 2000's!!

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Warren Mills - Warren Mills (1985)

Warren Mills is an artist whose music I've heard mentioned in various places, but that I'd never actually heard. Then I saw the LP in a used record store and figured, since the price was right, it was time to explore his work, as it was said to be quite funky. Well, I was definitely not disappointed when I finally put it on. It is an awesome electro-funk album that still sounds fresh today, IMO. There is very little info on Warren on the internet, but I managed to find out some details. He was born in Zambia, and someone claims on Youtube that his real name is Warren Milstead. He was signed to Jive Records as a preteen, and was compared to a young Michael Jackson. Certainly he had the vocal chops. He is the nephew of singer Alton Edwards, who had a hit single in 1982 in the UK with "I Just Wanna (Spend Some Time With You)". And, according to different sources, he is either the brother or cousin of singer Rozalla, who had a huge hit in the early 1990's with "Everybody's Free". (I asked Rozalla about this on her Facebook page, but she not only didn't answer but deleted my post!) Whatever the case, in 1984 he released a remake of Smokey Robinson and The Miracles' "Mickey's Monkey" which made a minor dent in the UK charts but did not appear on the album. His next single, "Sunshine", would be his biggest success, climbing to #74 in UK charts. He released three other singles: "Don't Tell Me 'Bout Your Boyfriend", "Tell Me What You Want" and "Flame In The Fire", which he performed in the 1985 movie Rappin'. But none of these hit in the UK or anywhere else and Warren faded from view. (ProMills has pointed out that Aaron Carter did a remake of "Tell Me What You Want" in 2000.) It's very unfortunate, as he was a talented singer and the songs were extremely catchy. The album reminds me of Shanice Wilson's debut, Discovery, very funky and danceable. It helps that he had a host of Jive's top producers on hand, many of whom also worked with Samantha Fox, which gives it a pop edge. Billy Ocean also produced a couple of tracks. It all comes together nicely, and Warren really should have been bigger. He is now married with three daughters and living again in Zambia, and reportedly also still dabbles in music. Should you be interested, you can try to 'friend' him on Facebook, although it seems he may no longer be interested in discussing his early music career, though he really should be proud of it.

Video for Sunshine

Video clip from Rappin' of Warren performing Flame In The Fire

Download Warren Mills

1
Sunshine
2
Tell Me What You Want
3
Choosey Girl
4
Don't Tell Me 'Bout Your Boyfriend
5
Flame In The Fire
6
Biochemistry
7
You Thrill Me (I Like It Like This)
8
It's Peculiar
9
I Turn To You

16 comments:

  1. Hello, I would love to download this album. Can you please repost the link or email it over to me. marendez95126@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, can you reup this one? Awesome site, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellet CD!
    Thanks.
    Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!! I have been trying to find the song Sunshine for the longest! I just wanted to hear it again. I tapped the video ON BETA when I was a kid and played it repeatedly! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warren has 3 daughters and a son, married to a beautiful Zimbabwean lady, Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've pursued that guy for years! Very handsome lad he was. I really wish I could sit down with one of the most talented performers of that era who never had the break he deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I loved his songs ever since I first saw him, on Soul Train UK. As a teen, I even tried to join his fan club...but my fan letter to him was returned!! Definitely handsome too.
      “It’s not too late to make a comeback Warren”.

      Delete
  7. Can you reup please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have his album in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't Warren Mills sing 'I'll Never Stop' together with Mickey's monkey?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am happy to learn that he is in Zambia, my country. I used to play his songs a lot as a teen age girl. Warren , you can do it again. Wishing you the best!! Your songs were so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Warren has a new track out called Luckiest Man, available on all digital platforms. SHWN'RAH

    ReplyDelete