Hi all! Due to life events, I will not be posting or reupping albums in the future. Some of the albums might be available on the Facebook group mentioned below. Thanks for understanding!

For Facebook users, please check out and join my new sharing group Trashy Treasures, featuring 70s, 80s and 90s music pleasures!! A lot like the Isle, but with everyone able to contribute and discuss the tasty old music we love!!!

For all you pop lovers on Facebook, you should join the Pop Rush Community Facebook page immediately. Lots of amazing shares of great pop music from the 1990's and 2000's!!

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lauren Christy - Lauren Christy (1993) & Breed (1997) DOUBLE POST!!

I'm feeling generous once again, as I've been a little lax in my posts as of late. So here I give you a double post of the solo works of Lauren Christy. Lauren was born in the UK and studied ballet as a child, but as a teen decided to pursue music. She formed a band and wrote many songs, signing with Mercury Records based on her songwriting skills. Her first self-titled album was geared toward the adult contemporary market. It consists of mostly ballads, with light synth elements, sort of like Sarah Brightman's Dive album or something more accessible by Tori Amos. (It was produced by Tony Peluso, who also worked with previous postees Apollonia, Teen Dream and Rebel Pebbles, if that helps!) I think it's a beautiful album. I even gave the song "You Read Me Wrong" to a former 'lover' as an apology (so dramatic, LOL). The song "You Read Me Wrong" was a slight hit on the Billboard AC chart, but the album faded quickly. It seemed Lauren's chance at popdom was over, as nothing more was heard from her (aside from the theme song to the Bruce Willis movie "The Color Of Night" in 1993, which almost made the Billboard Hot 100). But four years later Lauren re-emerged with a new look and sound. Instead of soft introspective ballads, her sound was now mostly crunchy rock. Equal parts Garbage, Natalie Imbruglia and Tori, it was an extreme change from her first album. But it was even less successful, alas. The title track was featured on the Batman & Robin soundtrack, the song "Magazine" hit number 40 on the obscure Billboard Adult chart, and the critics loved the album, but the public mostly ignored it. Luckily for Lauren, a few years later she hooked up with Graham Edwards and Scott Spock and formed the production team (and brief recording act, with Katy Perry) The Matrix. Their work with Avril Lavigne catapulted them into the pop conscience, and Lauren finally had her taste of stardom, though behind the scenes. She, with the Matrix, has applied her considerable songwriting and production talent to numerous successful pop acts since.

Video for You Read Me Wrong

Video for Steep

Download Lauren Christy

1
Rain
2
You Read Me Wrong
3
Steep
4
The Rumour
5
River Of Time
6
Vanessa's Father
7
My Jeans I Want Them Back
8
Adult Afraid Of The Light
9
Meet Me In America
10
Woman's Song
11
Take Me To The Church

Video for Breed

Download Breed

1
Breed
2
I Want What I Want
3
Magazine
4
You Make Me Laugh
5
25 Back Then
6
Boomerang Bang
7
Burn
8
Letterbomb
9
Could've Been
10
The Night I Saved Peter Ustinov
11
Breed

16 comments:

  1. I had no idea that she had any albums! I just knew the Color Of Night theme.

    (What a great movie!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the albums, do you happen to have her song "25 back then", the version that appears on the compilation album Women for Women 2? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, and no, I do not, :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. her music is really good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you, but I absolutely love you for this!! I'm here in Brazil and didn't bring this lovely CD with me from the States and can't get it here. I can't count how many tapes and CDs of her debut album I bought because I was always giving it to friends, listening to it too much (wore them out) or god knows what else. So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy I could share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you mind too terribly re-upping "Breed" (and Belinda Metz's "Minx")? Thanks!!
    Also, what a wonderfully themed blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could someone post the writings credits for the songs? I'd really appreciate that. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm looking for Lauren Christy's "Perfect Again" as featured on Buffy The Vampire Slayer in Season 4, Ep 5. Is there anywhere I can buy this song? Thanks in advance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you please re-up her self-titled album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both albums have been reupped. ;)

      Delete
    2. I just noticed that not all of the songs on her self-titled album are tagged correctly in this download, so keep that in mind - you'll have to rename some in iTunes. Sorry.

      Delete
  11. Please can you re-upload both albums?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of these albums are absolutely amazing, but I find it interesting how she did a complete change of sound from the self-titled to "Breed." It's almost as though a different artist made the two records -- the first time I listened to "Breed," my jaw literally dropped! I bought her first album when I heard "Steep" on the radio (what a beautiful song!), and I got "Breed" the moment I saw it on the rack in my local record shop. The difference between the two albums is like night and day, but I love them both. They show two very different sides of the same artist. I just wish that she would have kept on making records!

    ReplyDelete