Hi all! Due to life events, I will not be posting or reupping albums in the future. Some of the albums might be available on the Facebook group mentioned below. Thanks for understanding!

For Facebook users, please check out and join my new sharing group Trashy Treasures, featuring 70s, 80s and 90s music pleasures!! A lot like the Isle, but with everyone able to contribute and discuss the tasty old music we love!!!

For all you pop lovers on Facebook, you should join the Pop Rush Community Facebook page immediately. Lots of amazing shares of great pop music from the 1990's and 2000's!!

And don't forget to follow the Isle on Facebook and Twitter!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Good 2 Go - Good 2 Go (1992)

I apologize for the lack of posts, but the summer has been really busy so far! And since I like to research the acts I post and not just post album links, it takes a bit more time to put together posts. But I will when I can, and to tide you over here is another often requested group that is also in keeping with the 'new Jill swing' vibe of the last couple posts. Good 2 Go were brought together in Los Angeles by manager Hiriam Hicks and consisted of Kathy Webb, Melissa Miller, Missy Newman, Natalie Fernie and Cindy Shows. Hicks had a deal with Giant Records to create a female group, and clearly the idea was to create a female version of Giant Records' biggest act at the time, Color Me Badd, the all-male and mostly all-white new jack swing group (and, according to Natalie, a rival for the Good Girls). The majority of the album was produced by Dr. Freeze, who was behind CMB's biggest hit "I Wanna Sex You Up" and Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison", another act that Hicks managed. The other tracks were produced by a variety of lesser-known R&B producers that had also worked with those bands. The girls' first single, "Never Satisfied", reached #64 on the Billboard Hot 100 and became a top ten R&B hit, thanks to the fact that, like I mentioned with previous postees Rainbow Girls, the single was initially released without their picture on the cover. Black audiences just assumed that they were black artists, which was the label's intent. Once the audience made the song popular, the video was released to reveal that it was a bunch of white girls. A second single, "He Thinks He's All That", was released soon after and failed to make a similar impact, likely due in part to the label's refusal to make a video, though perhaps the fact that the ladies were revealed to be white worked against them. Giant wanted the group to be a major pop crossover success, and when that didn't happen they dropped them. The girls broke up and went their own ways, though some still keep in touch and work sporadically in the music world. To hear a great interview with Natalie Fernie from a few years ago about the group's career, go HERE.

Video for Never Satisfied

Download Good 2 Go

1
Good 2 Go
2
Go With The Flow
3
Notice Me
4
Money Can't Buy Love
5
White House
6
Never Satisfied
7
He Thinks He's All That
8
Don't Want To Change You
9
Romance You
10
Oooooo Song

16 comments:

  1. I have to disagree. The fact that these girls were White didn't hurt them with the R&B audience. Look at Teena Marie and even George Michael. Both these artists had continued success in this genre.

    Good 2 Go's situation was just handled poorly. From single selection to promotion. "Never Satisfied" was a strong showing for a first single but "He Thinks He's All That" was definitely not single-worthy. At that time, artists were following up their uptempo songs with ballads and for some reason, the situation worked. For serious vocalists like Good 2 Go, following this formula could have definitely helped them since the had two great ballads on the album. But the powers-that-be chose a song that did not show the true vocal talents of these ladies. This is often the case with one-hit-wonder situations and Good 2 Go's situation fits, thanks to Giant's poor handling of the situation.

    Giant was also experiencing financial problems which, didn't do the girl's situation any favors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exaaaactly! This is a sad story because they were soooo talented. And the fact that they weren't black made them even more appealing because it was so unexpected. At least in my humble.opinion.

      Delete
  2. I could remember being a little girl hearing this song for first time, my friends and I use to sing this song dedicated to the little guys we were liking at the time. I thought they were black and when I finally seen the video, I remember being shocked tjat they were white girls withthis urban sound.. I still thought the song was hot and it still to this day has agoood sound.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Links Are All Expired...I've Been Looking For This Album For Years! Had It On Cassette Back In The Day...Please Re-Upload It? Thanks In Advance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember first seeing them on an episode of Soul Train and dancing along with them when I was little. I brought it on tape soon after seeing the episode. I've been looking for this for a while. Thanks so much!!!

    I think the reason they didn't last was because they caught the tail end of the New Jack sound popularity. When they came out the New Jack sound was on the way out. Sucks because they were really good. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the kind comments. As for us "Good2 Go" girls, we were heartbroken when it came to an end. We don't regret anything, it was a great experience and we learned so much. We are all thriving and doing very well .

    Melissa Capri
    Formerly Melissa Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melissa! I just want to say that you guys were INCREDIBLE!!!!! SO AUTHENTIC. I totally dig everything you guys did girl! I'm obsessed with "Never Satisfied". The entire album was great! And I'm so sorry that you guys didn't get as far as you could have but God knows best you know? Everything happens for a reason. Hollywood is a very dark place... y'all deserved better. <3

      Delete
    2. Authentic? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

      Delete
    3. I smell a reunion tour coming up, saw the soul train performance the go with flow had me shocked girls was getting down , I like how they were on both sides of the stage bumping then ran in the center jumpin when the Jamaican dude came out jumpin that still bump till this day , that's rowdy have people jumping if tables in the club. They played that in club bout a month ago

      Delete
  6. I remember buying your groups album at the time because you all were unique white girls with soul in your voices. Very unique at that time and the cross-over of Whites listening to Soul was still very new. Love yalls ballads and have been searching you all for years. Wish you all had follow ups to your first album. Definitely had something special to offer before it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa,
    I loved this song growing up and when I found out my husband is one of the guys in your video, I was beyond excited! Would you happen to know where we could get a clearer, close to original version of the video?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melissa,
    I loved this song growing up and when I found out my husband is one of the guys in your video, I was beyond excited! Would you happen to know where we could get a clearer, close to original version of the video?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they need to come back , do a reunion tour , a documentary or something come out of hiding

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up with Melissa miller my sister dawn were child hood friends singing sense they were tiny girls bye the communitie pool Whitney Houston lol love you brother Duane

    ReplyDelete